Monday, February 29, 2016

Love Jesus Out Loud

I think the word serving can scare people away by the thought of having to do something for someone else or perhaps the free labor involved. The Bible describes a servant as one who performs a variety of work to serve other people out of obedience because of their love and thanksgiving for God. Numerous scripture refer to serving and also provide examples for us to learn from. The most prominent and life changing example is from Christ himself.

Philippians 2 tells us to Love Jesus Out Loud.
We are called to love like Jesus. Because of our selfish human nature, our hearts must be locked to Christ. Only then are we able to grow a tender heart compassionate for one another so we are able to “work hard to show the results of our salvation.”

This picture may look like a bunch of happy kids dressed in red from head to toe with some signs, firemen hats and lots of energy, but there is more to this picture than meets the eye. I see kids holding signs with very powerful words they themselves live out. I have seen these kids walk up to strangers who are visiting for the first time so they feel accepted at church. I have seen some of these kids stand on stage and sing their heart out to lead worship. I have heard these kids share deep and personal things in their life with others to show why we need Jesus. I have seen some of these kids grow physically, mentally and spiritually.

What you don’t see in the picture is the sweet girl that helped make posters. She is a girl that opts out of worship time and time again. She works to find distractions during sermons. She is not so sure about the whole God thing.  Not only can you not see the girl I’m talking about in the photo, you can’t see her elated joy, involvement and excitement at church all weekend. Pictures do not tell the whole story. Serving does. Getting involved does.

This weekend our church hosted our annual Youth Student Conference and I had the great privilege to serve and be with God’s children. This is not the first year I have dedicated my weekend to this event, but it was the most meaningful by far. I found myself out of my comfort zone talking to kids I didn’t know. I was engaged with some I met for the first time and some I have known for years. It is not necessarily normal for kids in middle and high school to spend time with adults when they have the option of being with their friends. Let alone an adult as shy, reserved and rule following as me. But there I was. With them and their friends - as one of the girls. I did not have to try to be what I thought they wanted me to be. I did not have to focus my thoughts on whether or not they would like me. It was not about me.

Had I not served and dedicated my entire weekend to this student conference, I would not have seen true joy in hearts I know are broken. I saw some dance I have only dreamed to see happy enough to dance. I saw some that live with trial and conflict every day let loose and not only have fun - they entertained others. I saw some worship as tears fell from their precious eyes. The atmosphere was contagious. Nothing, I mean nothing will compare to witnessing so many children radiate from God’s love.

This picture is an absolute token to me. The most glaring awesomeness is being in a photo with Bob Goff himself. He is an amazing speaker and exudes cheerfulness of his love for God. For me, Bob is not the most momentous part of this picture. The girls and the time we spent together captured in this picture is what I take away as a treasure. I have known these girls since they were in the 6th grade and I am blown away at by the impression they leave on my heart. This picture hides one of my good friends. She too is a student and we had a moment. Many tears fell and Jesus was very much needed and to no surprise, He showed up. In celebration just before this picture we danced and worshiped together as they adorned me with confetti that fell from the ceiling. Together we sat and listened to Bob Goff speak. Bob is amazing. He has this laugh that makes the girls laugh and love him more with each chuckle. It was a gift to experience it with them as we shared seats so we all fit together. For the first time I did not see the back of their heads or hear the general laughs of the auditorium. I heard their individual laughs and witnessed the pure joy on their face in the moment. Bob gets excited with his words, his glasses even jump around when he speaks. The girls just loved it. The personality that oozed from Bob was spread from person to person. The girls even tried to imitate his laugh so they could take a bit of him home I think. 

I said yes to the Lord a few years ago when He nudged me to serve with the students at church on a weekly basis. Because of mistakes and experiences in my life, I grew a passion to do what I could to help love and teach students. I have an intense love for guiding students toward Jesus and teaching them ways to live with God daily despite the world telling them otherwise. For me, this is what serving is. I do not see it as a job or having to do something I don’t want to do. I try to do it with all I have because God tells me to. It has been hard. So many times I felt like quitting or defeated, but God always picks me back up to affirm He has me right were I need to be.  There is no room for quitting. The girl that made posters needs people in her life to continue her on the path of receiving Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior. There is work to be done for there are many just like her.

Three years ago at the same event, there was no way I had the courage to walk up to a group of kids I did not know with a smile to engage with them. I have learned when you say yes to God to serve His people, He begins to work in your life. He makes great change within you to transform and equip to serve Him better. He doesn’t send us empty handed. He doesn’t send us alone. Not only that, God rewards us in ways incomparable to money or to any earthy award. There are no words to describe the feeling that overcame me when I saw a young man give his life to Christ and be surrounded by other guys with hugs of support and love. Had I stayed in the back where I feel most comfortable, I would have missed so much.

For every child that smiled back, thank you! Thank you for Setting the Tone in my heart to encourage me to Love Jesus Out Loud.

 “Be Not Afraid” – Bob Goff

Have the Attitude of Christ
Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose.

Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
Though he was God,
he did not think of equality with God
as something to cling to.
Instead, he gave up his divine privileges;
he took the humble position of a slave
and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,
he humbled himself in obedience to God
and died a criminal’s death on a cross.
Therefore, God elevated him to the place
of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names,
that at the name of Jesus every knee
should bow;
in heaven and on earth and under
the earth,
and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Shine Brightly for Christ
Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and power to do what pleases him.


Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless. But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God. And I want all of you to share that joy. Yes, you should rejoice, and I will share your joy. 
– Philippians 2:1-18 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment